lunes, 25 de junio de 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAKES

After exams the first thing I wanted to do was bake, bake and bake. It was tough to find where to start but events just happened. I had two birthday parties that week, and I decided to make their gifts. They are two of my closest friends and I wanted to surprise them with something really special.

VANILLA CAKE WITH LEMON BUTTERCREAM

This cake was for my friend Rosa, we met when we started college and have been friends since. So here is my present:


Cake Recipe:


Ingredients:


- 1 1/4 Cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
-  1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Oil (I use olive oil, the most fruity scented one)
- 1/2 buttermilk (1/2 cupo of milk and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and set aside for five minutes before using)


Now this is my favourite part: Lemon Buttercream. I have fallen in love with this recipe. I have so many ideas for Lemon Buttercream... or maybe just eat spoonfuls of it.

Ingredients:

- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- A pinch of salt

This is one of the best cakes I have ever made. I was so proud of it and loved my friends face when she saw it. Flours as you know are made of fondat paste. I need to get better with fondant technique but I am just a little bit proud of it!

CHOCOLATE DISCO BALL CAKE

Here is the second Birthday cake, this one is for my friend Maca. We met in high school, but started hanging together during college years. She is a real music addict, so I thought a disco ball should be the perfect gift for her.



The cake is the same as the vanilla one on the top of the page, I justed added about 200 gr of melted dark chocolate. I know, it looks like the disco ball fell on top of the real cake but that wasn't the original idea... The ball was just to heavy for the bottom cake to hold. 


For the mirror squares I used silver edible powder mixed with confectioners sugar on white fondant squares. This one was a difficult one, but I hope I can make it again to make it the perfect disco ball cake.

I will keep making special birthday gifts for my friends and family, I think its the best way to learn and make people smile! for now this is what i have! 

Enjoy!

2 comentarios:

  1. Que guay!!! El otro día hice una tarta de dos pisos y para que no se hundiese un pastel encima del otro utilicé unos cilindros que venden en las tiendas típicas que son de plástico y muy anchas y se utilizan para que no se hunda un pastel sobre otro, quizás te puede servir para la próxima vez, de todas maneras te quedó genial!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. La tarta de bola de discoteca por mucho que diga nuestra querida Pati estaba deliciosa y la idea simplemente fue G E N I A L ! ! ! Uno de los mejores regalos de cumpleaños que he tenido!!! GRACIAS :D

    ResponderEliminar